THE SCENE: The rain gods couldn’t figure out what to do. Intermittent sprinkles, damp, but pretty darn mild! (~60 degrees)
F3 WELCOME & DISCLAIMER
Welcome to F3, Fitness, Fellowship and Faith. F3 is a free workout program designed to improve fitness, share some camaraderie, and foster male leadership in the community. I’m Pele and I will be your Q today. I am not a professional, and I do not know your fitness level or injury history. Please push yourself, but modify the workout as necessary to avoid making any existing injuries worse. The goal is to get better together!
Welcome, FNG Shawn, who is a friend of Goober!
- 20 SSH (4-ct), in cadence
- 11 Cherry Pickers (4-ct), in cadence
- High knees 30 sec, butt kickers 30 sec, in place.
- 10 Steve Earls (4-ct), in cadence
- 10 Windmills (4-ct), in cadence
- Little of this and that
MOSEY up Baby Cardiac and veer right towards Cardiac. Going down Cardiac do Reverse Indian Run. First in line Bernie Sanders’ back to end of line and yells GO, signaling next PAX to Bernie. Continue to intersection with trail.
Do “47s” (made up exercise name based on my age. I’m old… ) up the serpentine trail to the road.
- Run 4 lights, then do 7 reps of the following 4 exercises: Big Boy Situps (the pavement was very wet… sorry/not sorry), Carolina Dry Docks, Mountain Climbers, and Bobby Hurleys
MOSEY to Pavillion by northern ball fields. More 47s.
- 7 reps of bench pullups, dips, jump-ups, and decline merkins. RINSE AND REPEAT FOUR TIMES. The first two sets of reps the Q called on the PAX to lead the cadence. The second two reps were at your own pace.
MOSEY to parking lot where morning group meets.
CENTURY CLUB: Do 25 reps of four exercises consecutively, without stopping. Every time you finish a corner, run up baby cardiac and move on to the next corner (counter clockwise) and do the next set of exercises. One of the trips up the hill (PAX choice; most decided to get it out of the way first) must be a Bernie Sanders.
- CORNER 1:
- 25 x MERKINS/CAROLINA DRY DOCKS/DIVE BOMBERS/SHOULDER TAPS (4-ct)
- CORNER 2:
- 25 x BBS/AMERICAN HAMMER (4-ct)/LBCs/DEAD BUG (4-ct)
- CORNER 3 (CMUs):
- 25 x OVERHEAD PRESS/CURLS/ROWS/SQUATS
- CORNER 4
- 25 x ROCKY BALBOA (4-ct)/LUNGES/FROGGIE JUMPS/STAR JUMPS
When finished, run to center of parking lot and do 100 SSHs.
(Spoiler alert… we didn’t finish. Most PAX got through 3 of the 4 corners. Q called Recover, then we wrapped up the workout with a final run up baby cardiac together.)
No time, and we were too out of breath to call out an exercise anyway.
COUNT-OFF & NAME-O-RAMA
10 strong, including one FNG, Shawn, who we named Saguaro based on the fact that he hails from Arizona. FUN FACT! “Saguaro” can be pronounced with a hard or silent/soft “g”! Who knew?? Goober. Goober knew.
CIRCLE OF TRUST/BOM:
As discussed in the book Wild at Heart by John Eldridge, Jesus gave us a simple test for taking the measure of something, when he says in MATTHEW Chapter 7 when he’s warning his disciples about false prophets. He says, “They come to you in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly they are ravenous wolves. By their fruit you will recognize them. Are grapes gathered from thorn bushes, or figs from thistles? Likewise, every good tree bears good fruit, but a bad tree bears bad fruit.”
I wanted to build on Lillydipper’s Word a few weeks ago about spreading seeds. What fruit will you bear on this earth? I’m not talking specifically about children, although they are included in this concept, but what will your legacy be? Will it spread and multiply? Will it be good?
I’m a biologist and ecologist by training, so I started thinking about seeds. What kind of seeds are we talking about here? There are two reproductive strategies commonly found in nature that are known as R and K Strategists.
- R Strategists (“Rodents”): Organisms that are “R” strategists produce many seeds (plants) or offspring (animals). They don’t invest much in their creation, they just fling them out in the world and hope that a few survive (e.g., milkweed, dandelion; rats). Good luck my weak little babies and seeds! Adios! See you on the other side!
- K Strategists (“Kings”): Organisms that are “K” strategists produce fewer seeds or offspring that are of higher quality, i.e., more resources are invested in a smaller number in the hopes of improving the survival rate to adulthood. Plants that are K strategists have seeds with protective coatings and nutrients to help the seed establish and survive (e.g., oaks), while animals produce more complex and better developed offspring, and also spend energy and resources protecting them and nurturing them when they’re young and vulnerable (e.g., whales, humans).
I believe we can try to be BOTH when we “spread our seeds”. We obviously can’t follow up and develop strong relationships with each and every person we give a smile to or hold the door for throughout the course of our lives. But these acts of kindness can spread in the world. And to ensure that the seeds closest to us grow and flourish, we CAN and SHOULD invest more into the seeds of kindness will that we sow with those we are close to, our friends, family, F3 brothers, etc. The more we invest, the more likely those efforts will be to bear fruit. Good fruit. Not bad, ugly, prickly fruit. Like those weird things you see in the grocery store with spikes on them. Who eats that??
Congrats to Hooker on the birth of his daughter! Very happy for the proud grandparents, Pinto and Mr. Jinxy. Prayers that she remains healthy and gains strength (there is an interesting synergy here with the seed/fruit topic in the Word…). Prayers for some long-time employees that Sparkler had to lay off this week due to economic downturns. Appreciation to our FNG, Shawn “Saguaro”, who powered through a tough workout all the way to the end. Merlot was disgorged. :-/
Board meeting to discuss Hardship Hill obstacle construction immediately after the workout (the fact that there will be beer there is purely coincidental). Hardship Hill is May 2. F3 Convergence at JUCO is March 28, with breakfast and third F to follow. Wesley House food drive ends this Wednesday.