THE SCENE: Beautiful, around 70, low humidity.
F3 WELCOME & DISCLAIMER
Welcome to F3, Fitness, Fellowship and Faith. F3 is a free workout program designed to improve fitness, share some camaraderie, and foster male leadership in the community. I’m Pele and I will be your Q today. I am not a professional, and I do not know your fitness level or injury history. Please push yourself, but modify the workout as necessary to avoid making any existing injuries worse. The goal is to get better together! Some additional COVID-19 considerations: keep your distance between you and other members of the PAX and any other folks that we pass during moseys, etc. to 6-10 feet. We will be splitting up into groups smaller than 10 if necessary. We need to set good examples and be good neighbors out here at this public park, especially with so many folks out and about.
-20 Side Straddle Hops (4-ct), in cadence
– 10 Cherry Pickers (4-ct), in cadence
– 10 BAC forward and backward
– Little of this and that
– get in a line, high knees 20 yards, butt kickers 20 yards, Karaoke left 20 yards, Karaoke right 20 yards
Today is September 22, which is Bilbo Baggins’ birthday, also known as HOBBIT’S DAY! But (as you may know from reading or watching the Fellowship of the Ring) at his 111th birthday party, he vanished into thin air! One second he was standing there giving an overblown birthday speech, and then poof! He was gone! We need to go find him. Hobbits like being around hills, so we need to search the hills around here to see where he’s gone off to. Ready?? .
Mosey to shallow amphitheater area. CONES at top and bottom
- At Top cones do an AROUND THE WORLD (plank position, rotate around 360 degrees to look around) both directions. Run down and circle bottom cones and go back to top cones.
Mosey to Area 51 Hills. Follow the cones down and read the instructions. COUNT OFF by 2’s.
- FIRST CONE: No Bilbo. Start the search. 1’s do Jump Squats, 2’s lunge to the right for 20 sec, then back 20 sec, then Reverse.
- SECOND CONE: No Bilbo. Start the search. 1’s do Iron Mikes, 2’s Bear Crawl 5/ do 5 Reps of CDDs for 20 sec, then back 20 sec, then reverse.
- THIRD CONE: GOBLINS! We’ve been captured. BATAAN DEATH MARCH back to road and down to Area 51 parking lot. 1’s and 2’s in two lines, last 2 PAX in each line do 5 Prisoner Squats then race to catch up to the front of the line.
PRISONER CAMP (Parking Lot). After that we are put into Hard Labor, forced to build one of their forts for the upcoming war. 10 Prisoner Get ups, BEAR CRAWL to wall (because we’re being whipped), 10 Prisoner Cell Merkin Burpees (PCMBs), BEAR CRAWL back. Rinse and repeat, but only 5 reps of the exercise, and El Capitan back and forth instead of bear crawl. Q’s note: This was harder than it sounded on paper!!
Mosey to TREES to the west. ELVES appear! A BATTLE ensues!
- 1s are Elves, 2s are Goblins. Pair off and face each other. BURPEE BATTLE! Elves are better trained, quicker. They only need to do 8 burpees, the Goblins need to do 10. Whoever wins each pair wins the battle. If more elves win than goblins, we are free. Otherwise we continue the death march. Elves do two more burpees at the end to make it fair.
Mosey to bottom of Everest. One last big Hill to search…
- Run up Everest to Base of Summit, using the secondary path by the big cedar tree.
- Mosey to Roadshow Run stairway. Run up to top.
- THERE’S BILBO, RIGHT BACK AT HOME WHERE WE STARTED!
- A celebration is in order! 111 SIDE STRADDLE HOPS WITH OVERHEAD CLAPS!
20 Hello Dollies (4-ct, IC)
COUNT-OFF & NAME-O-RAMA
21 strong, including one FNG, FiliBilly!
CIRCLE OF TRUST/BOM:
Today’s workout had a Lord of the Rings theme, obviously. LotR is one of my favorite set of books and movies, yes, because of all the magic and dragons, and elves with pointy ears, but also because of some of the wonderful lessons that it contains.
- Fighting for what’s good in the world
But I want to focus on two lessons in particular. One is the concept of the FELLOWSHIP itself. The FELLOWSHIP consisted of Nine individuals who were given an incredibly difficult task. They were:
- A wizard (Gandalf)
- A King who was sort of a refugee and had not ascended to his throne. (Aragorn)
- An elf prince (Legolas)
- A Dwarf (Gimli)
- A Human prince (Baromir)
- And four hobbits (Frodo, Samwise, Pippen, Merry).
All of the members of this party were battle hardened and powerful representatives of their races. They also had strong prejudices they had to overcome. Elves and dwarves were sworn enemies. The humans were subject to the temptations of the One ring. No one trusted wizards. Hobbits were just small and simple folk that can’t find their butt with two hands and aspire to nothing more than to grow a good pumpkin in their gardens. And yet these 9 individuals bonded together, died for each other, and even the elf and dwarf became inseparable friends. It kind of reminds me of our F3 Fellowship. Heck, fellowship is the second “F” in our name!
The other lesson I wanted to bring up involved who stepped up and carried the Ring, which was an evil artifact that took a physical and mental toll on the bearer. The Ring bearer was also the instant target of all the Evil minions in the land. And yet it was not the wizard, the noble elf, the strong dwarf, the human royals that carried the ring. It was the smallest among them, a simple hobbit who had never left his home that volunteered to carry the burden. As the Elf Queen Galadriel tells Frodo, “Even the smallest person can change the course of the future.” Sometimes today’s problems seem insurmountable. No matter how helpless or insignificant you feel in such a troubled world, take comfort in the fact that God has a plan and purpose for your life, and all people, large or small, can be used for His Glory.
Prayers of thanks for the successful surgery on Jinxy’s wife, and that our brother Pinto is gaining strength in his battle with multiple myeloma. Welcome to FNG Filibilly!
2nd F opportunity at Abridged Wed 9/23 7 pm!